>

Cool-As-A-Cucumber - Funky Green Chair

If I'm really motivated I can do a project in one day, start to finish. It means getting up early (blurk) and for-going some household chores (yay), but mostly I can crack the whip when I want to.

This funky retro diner is an iconic Jon Jansen chair, and it was started and finished yesterday. This includes cleaning, sanding, staining, varnishing and upholstery. Whahoo!


I remembered to take a few progress photos this time around. Normally I don't as I forget in my excitement to start lol. 

This first one is during the sanding process. I used an electric Black & Decker palm sander for the flat sides and sanded the legs and curves by hand. Remember to wear a dust mask every time you sand, as well as ear muffs when using electric sanders. Safety first peeps!


This next photo is when adding stain. The colour is a warm brown and is simply applied using a soft, lint-free cloth. Disposable gloves are essential! While I'm waiting for the stain to dry I started working on the upholstery. My stain takes about 4 hours. 


And lastly I give it a coat of varnish. If you click on the photo to enlarge it you'll see the word VARNISH written on my brush. I use this brush only for varnish, carefully washing and drying it each time and storing in a bag when not in use. Doing that limits any lint, dirt or paint getting into the finish. 


I didn't take any progress photos of the upholstery darn it......next time I promise! But heres a few closeups to make up for it.









SORRY SOLD

~~~
Check out my other items for sale
See samples in my Gallery page
Email me for commissions or enquiries
Like me on Facebook
~~~


3 comments:

Vintage Paints said...

I love this post! I have "sealer" written on my brush and I store it in a cabinet inside. That green is darling. Love the color of the wood stain! Pretty pretty!

Antonia@Voodoo Molly Vintage said...

I'm now convinced we must be twins. :)))

Robert schloss said...

Hi Molly,
Do you remember the name of the fabric you used?