>

Vintage Kauri Bedside Cabinet


I love my job. Seriously, I LOOOVE it. There is a saying that goes something like this:

Chose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.
Confucius

I "worked" 15hrs yesterday (I know I know don't say it.... I'm meant to be taking it easy) not because I had to, but because I was getting such a kick out of what I was doing! Ok, I had to stop here and there to cook, eat, rest, do laundry, blah blah rardy blah, but wow I had such a fun day!!

So what was I doing when I wasn't doing house chores? Well, prepping another coffee table and a set of three nesting table, but mostly it was working on this wee cabinet below.



I've had this little cupboard for a while. I was told its Kauri wood, and although I suspect they're right I can't confirm it. I brought it for a few dollars from a family in East Auckland, I stored it a while, then I used it next to my bed, then I stored it again.




Now its been refurbished and I LOVE it. I even got a "wow, it looks awesome" from my husband. Normally I get a "Yup, thats nice"......

Anyhoo, this cabinet is most likely from the 1930 or 1940. The whole thing is solid wood - no composite woods in this baby - and the back panel is tongue and groove. Do you love the legs and paneled door as much as me?



The top I stripped, stained and varnished. There is still a small mark on it, but hey, the cupboard is old. You get what you get huh.

As for the graphics that is from a vintage French advert. It roughly translates to:

Nail products
Items for shoemakers
Handkerchiefs
Scarves
Articles of Paris
Stationery
Cutlery

LOL!

Heres a few shots during the refurb. I don't normally remember to take them, as I start getting too excited and go gung-ho into it. :)

This cabinet was also featured on the Shabby Art Boutique blog for the Shabbilicious Friday feature. Check out Kerryannes fab website here.
Shabby Art Boutique





SORRY SOLD 

~~~
Check out my other items for sale
See samples in my Gallery page
Email me for commissions or enquiries
Like me on Facebook
~~~




3 comments:

Kerryanne @ Shabby Art Boutique said...

Fantastic transformation of a very sweet looking cabinet. You did a great job of the graphic too.

I'd love it if you'd consider sharing this over at my Shabbilicious Friday Link party - http://shabbyartboutique.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/shabbilicious-friday-link-party-july_27.html

Heather said...

FAB U LOUS!
What a beautiful transformation...followed you over from the Under 300 link party!

AmieAnn said...

This is Gorgeous! I just adore it's vintage-y look! Thanks so much for joining in the under 300 followers blog hop! I am your newest follower~
xoxo
Amie @ Pinkapotamus